Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Month of Chocolate: Crazy for Cupcakes

When I was in college I had the pleasure of working as a kitchen helper for a cooking school in Tucson. I don’t think The Tasting Spoon is still around, but I still use and love many of the recipes I collected from my time there. This one is pretty unusual. More like giant chewy chocolate chip cookies than cupcakes, they are still a delicious treat with your morning coffee or an after-school glass of milk.
muffins
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
1/2 c. soft butter
6 T. white sugar
6 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 c. + 2 T. flour
1/2 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
Combine butter, sugars, and vanilla and beat until creamy. Add egg and mix well. Stir in flour, soda, and salt. Spoon mixture into cupcake papers until 1/2 full. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon the following mixture, about 1 T., over the top of each. Return to oven and bake 12 more minutes.
Combine and beat until thick:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
dash salt
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts
1/2 t. vanilla

No comments: