Monday, February 22, 2010

A Month of Chocolate: Hooray for Humus

Note that this is humus with one M; we’re not making a spread for pitas here. Half of me wants to apologize “Stop if you’ve made this one before” but, well, perhaps someone hasn’t made this yet, and it is what’s going on in my kitchen at this very moment. So welcome new followers and friends who may not have discovered the fun-food that is Dirt Cake.
Why dirt cake? Let one of my favorite authors explain it to you:
”But for the tree people different fare was provided. When Lucy …realized that the trees were going to eat earth it gave her rather a shudder. But when she saw the earths that were actually brought to them she felt quite different. They began with a rich brown loam that looked exactly like chocolate…”  --C.S. Lewis  Prince Caspian
Dirt Cake
1 pkg Oreos, pulverized in food processor
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 pkgs. instant chocolate pudding
3 c. milk
2 tubs cool whip, thawed
Gummi worms for garnishing (What would dirt be without a few worms?)
In a mixer, mix the cream cheese, butter and sugar. Add the milk and mix until well blended. Add the pudding mix and mix for 2 minutes. Fold in cool whip. In a 9 x 13 pan, make layers of crumbs, pudding,  and crumbs. Refrigerate.

4 comments:

Taras and Kelly said...

I love dirt cake! The last time I had it was when my mom and I hosted a baby shower for a friend. She was having a boy and we wanted a good boyish theme, so we had dirt cake in a large plastic flower pot (lined with plastic wrap). Bethany decorated the flower pot with toy bugs, and of course we added gummy worms to the cake. We even used the little colorful sand shovels to serve! It made a great dessert/centerpiece!

Taras and Kelly said...

By the way, I'm saving all your wonderful chocolate recipes...one of these days I'm going to make time to try them out! Thanks for sharing!

~Kelly (That last comment was from me, too. I don't think Taras has tried dirt cake...yet. :o)

CC said...

Is there anything more wonderful than dirt cake??? The first time I tried it, my daughter in law had made it and it was very,very good.. She makes the most wonderful desserts.
I'm here visiting via Texas Bloggin Gals...I didn't realize there was so many of us..

Diana Ferguson said...

Just can't get enough choc!