Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Creamy Jalapeño Dip from Chuy's


This one's a keeper folks! It really does taste like the real thing. For those of you who aren't privileged enough to have a Chuy's restaurant in your backyard (or who don't want to stand in horrendously long lines because it's the only decent place to get Tex-Mex in Nashville.....) I offer this wonderful recipe. You can dip your tortilla chips in it, you can dress your salads with it, you can top your tacos with it. Enjoy!   

I'm not usually a fan of "copycat" recipes because they tend not to taste anything at all like the real thing ("Well I just changed this and this, but I think you'll really like it." Um. No. I don't want your version, I want the restaurant version.) OR they go to such ridiculous extremes to try and replicate what are obviously "food service" ingredients that it's just hopeless. Not so in this case.  I stumbled across this one while reading the comments to an article from The Houston Press on salsas. I did a little more hunting and found enough comments from employees to verify.

Your friends and family will think you are amazing and you won't have to wait an hour for a table.

20 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. (approx) buttermilk
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix (not the dressing)
2/3 c. pickled jalapeno slices (use less if you don't want it as spicy)
1 tomatillo (take the husk off first!)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves (Did you know the stems are flavorful as well? Don't worry if you throw a stem or two in there. I don't measure - just grab a handful.)

In a food processor, finely chop the jalapenos, tomatillo, and cilantro. Add to the sour cream and stir along with the dip mix. Add in a little buttermilk until it is creamy. Refrigerate.

No comments: